Thursday, February 11, 2010

Mama Nose


"There are one too many women living in this house" my mother told me. I think I was 11. And she was right. As long as I can remember I've been an independent thinker, the person who approaches the world as if knowing all the answers to everything. By the time I turned 21, I started to figure out my life would be so much easier if I listened to my Mom's advice instead of fighting it. The strange side effect is I'm also slowly morphing into my mother. I realized this when I held up the line in the department store searching for a receipt in the pile 'o receipts I keep neatly tucked in my wallet. Mumbling to myself I said "No she won't give me no store credit...store credit, hmph! I'm going to get my CASH back as soon as I find this receipt." Oblivious to the stares of impatient customers behind me, I find the receipt and hold it up like a prize. "I knew I had it!" I look around, and noticing the expression of the strangers around me I shake my head. "I am my mother's child" I tell the salesclerk in disbelief. No one, and I mean no one, can hunt out a receipt or coupon like my mother.

It was a running joke in our family for years when my mother pulled out coupon for our family dinner at Red Lobster. I was probably 8. The waitress said "Mama be cuttin' those coupons!"...it was HILARIOUS, and we all laughed because it was so true. But it wasn't about cutting coupons, or being cheap, my mother was just wise enough to plan ahead and spend wisely. And although I haven't developed the coupon cutting habit just yet, I've grown wise enough to consult her with my large financial decisions. And although I still run around like a know it all periodically, I appreciate my mother for setting such a great example in so many ways and always knowing when I need her.

Most recently I've been struggling with this property I've been maintaining in CA...that I love. Fortunately when I moved back east I was able to rent it...but this market isn't doing well...and I've had think hard about keeping or selling the house I thought would put my children through college. *dramatic sigh* I talked to my mom, and she helped me gain perspective and setup my options. Later that night she sent me great email...as if she knew what I needed to hear to not feel so burdened by my pending financial decisions. As if she smelled it in the air. Mothers have a nose for these kind of things...and similar to when we were young and only she could smell that the stove pilot was on, she still knows when her children need her. And although no one can get under my skin like she...I hope she "nose" how much I love her too. So I don't mind morphing into my mother. If I could be half as endearing, and together as she, I'd still be one baaaad mamma jamma ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment